Thursday, May 7, 2009

Love Being A Mom

Here I am with my husband and all 4 of our (grown) children. Wow, has time flown! Once upon a time, before Scot was born, I had 3 children under 3 years old. Crazy, huh? It was hectic and wonderful all at once. At that time I kept a journal of my daily life. Since Mother's Day is this weekend I thought I would copy a page here from that journal. (You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll wish there was a movie)
Date: Wednesday, July 9, 1980:
"The heat today is unbearable. I understand it is going to be even warmer tomorrow. How will I ever stand it? What's worse is we all have colds today. Every single one of us. Poor little Rachel is suffering the most. She coughs continuously, and her little, tiny nose sounds so stuffy and miserable. Ugh! It's enough to become depressed. Craig woke up with a bloody nose this morning. I had to change the sheets on his bed. Then later today we made popcorn, and while the Fuller Brush representative was trying to sell me some soap, the children had spilled the bowl onto the floor and were dancing in it! When I glanced into the kitchen I could have sworn it was snowing!! I wonder if anyone else has times like these? As I write this Kristin is shredding toilet paper into pieces smaller than microscopic and wiping her nose with each piece. Help!"
I REMEMBER
I remember when I could read an entire chapter,
some days even an entire book
at one sitting
without interuptions.
I remember when I could work
for hours at a time in my study,
the hours were dependent on me
not on nap.
I remember when I knew no one
with children
and had no idea what 2T meant.
I remember when no one
called me mommy,
and when no little arms wrapped themselves
around my neck,
no little kisses or hugs were mine.
And I prefer today.
- Susan A. Holton
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bobbi :)

    That poem was beautiful! I loved that journal entry too... I remember those days. Did you ever think you'd miss them? (sigh)

    I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day with you beautiful family :)

    rue

    ReplyDelete