Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Bedside Book



Do you have this book? Do you love it as much as I do? My sister gave this book to me several years ago as a birthday present. I think the copyright is 1995. It has either been on my nightstand or in my bedroom bookcase ever since. To me it is more than a book, it's like a wise, comforting friend. When I'm down and need encouragement or when I need inspiration or when I just need to read something that gets me thinking in a new direction I turn to this book. It truly is a daybook of comfort and joy. I find that some parts are outdated, but all in all it never disappoints. If you aren't familiar with it, the book is laid out in a one year progression starting with January 1 and running through until December 31. At the end of each month there are "Joyful Simplicities" that coordinate with the season and give great ideas of how to fully enjoy the wonders that make that particular month different from the other 11. Here is an example taken from today, May 26th. The heading reads, "Let Passion Be Your Decorator". Sarah Ban Breathnach reminds us that decorating is "creating a visual memoir through your surroundings." Love that concept! She ends the page with this note, "With passion as your authentic decorator, every room in your home can tell a riveting tale about the extaordinary woman who graces it with her presence." What a timely read for me! It'a been a challenge to decorate this small rental home. With that kind of advice I feel like I have the confidence to make my home not only pretty but comfortable and reflective of those of us who live here. Really, isn't that what makes most homes all the more interesting? To be able to see the personality of the home owner in the space. I would never want my house to feel like a museum, or a hotel lobby. Though at times when the kids were little it felt more like a zoo! Which just reminds me that our homes evolve and change as much as do our lives. I think I will continue to keep this book and its inspiration on my nightstand.

No comments:

Post a Comment