Thursday, June 25, 2009

This Garden's Progress

Remember when I planted my garden seeds last month, and it looked like this?
This is how it looks one month later. Green beans at left, Squash in the center, and four little Sunflowers next to the squash. The big, blue pot has a Tomato plant in it.

Here's a view looking down the row of Green beans. And, no, I did not plant a dandelion! That's a yellow marigold which looks far too similar to a dandelion. Note to self: next year, if you want to plant marigolds, you might consider the orange ones instead.


The long box at the left has Basil in it (from seed). Next to it, at the right, are a few Zinnias.



A dear friend gave me this wooden milk box when I was first diagnosed with diverticulitis. I drag it out every year and plant annuals in it. This year it holds blue lobelia and red geraniums. I decided to hang it on the fence. Makes it really stand out.


Close up of the Zinnias. Look at those weeds! Sheesh! Stop blogging and get out there, woman :)

The box o' Basil

I'm squeezing all I can out of every little strip of dirt in our backyard. This itsy-bitsy area is next to where the grass clippings get dumped. I threw down some seeds of parsley, lettuce, peas, and spinach. The lettuce and peas are the first...no, no, the weeds are actually the first...to come up.

My Tomato plant and 2 marigolds (masquerading as dandelions). Honest.

Can you see the little yellow tomato blossoms? I'm so excited!! I could never grow tomatoes in western Washington. With the climate being much hotter and drier here, I am anticipating lots of capresi salads with my Basil and Tomatoes. Yum!
I'll be checking the garden's progress in another month. Oh yes...and doing some weeding.










3 comments:

  1. Hi I found your comment on my blog, thank you for stopping by! I read your post one does a house cry...and I so agree....it does! We moved away from a little old house in town to our country home a few years ago. I felt like I was abandoning and old friend when we moved. Our babies were all born during the time we lived there...so many family memories. We went back and forth, like you , to keep the house up until we could sell it. The first week we were gone, the pipes underneath the house burst and made the kitchen floor swell. I said it was like the house's heart broke. {: So enjoyed visiting here! blessings,Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kathleen. Your comment was a real comfort to me. I'm still relatively new to this blogging thing, but have found lots of wonderful insight and inspiration from others like yourself. It is very much appreciated! gratefully, bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bobbi :)

    Your garden is wonderful!! I planted some flower seeds this year and it is slooooooow going, but hopefully next year it'll make a difference :)

    Thank you for your sweet comments to me, it's been a rough week... whew! Hopefully things will be better next week ;)

    xo,
    rue

    ReplyDelete